Unofficially a blog that's been shut down, you might still find the occasional post here where I mention something about exercise, rant/comment on life, or post my amateur third-person poetry.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Hi I'm Superham and rain is my kryptonite...

That pretty much sums up my intended Wednesday run, although I got 5 miles in 37:37 today.

The rest of this post was prompted by the man who rang my doorbell yesterday.

"Hello, good morning, is it possible for me to speak with you for a few minutes?"

I knew what would have come up next. You see, many years ago, it was me in his position; and while I didn't go around ringing doorbells, I would have been accosting other students in school (at least, it must have seemed that way to them) and handing out free literature.

We get our fair share of people distributing religious literature around here. At tube stations, at your door - you name it, you'll get it. The skeptical part of me wonders whether it is mainly self-motivated. Whether it is more of a case of the "witnessing" person wanting to feel they've fulfilled their duty to spread their Word, to tick it off the "to-do" list on their PDA, rather than a deeply-rooted urge to share their faith.

Religion is a tricky issue - it seems that way to me. People are drawn to religion for various reasons. Call me the cynic, but in my opinion some people ascribe to a faith because they feel having one means you belong in a higher social class than an athiest. After all, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs ranks self-actualization as the last of needs to be fulfilled, after physiological, safety, love and status needs (in that order). Declaring a want for spiritual needs implies you've achieved the needs at the bottom of the pyramid already, and you're better off in all these ways than others. You're of a higher status; a higher class. Better.

In Britain 70% of people declare themselves as "Christian", but church attendance among believers in 2005 was 6.3%. That's right, 6.3% - no typo error with the decimal point there. There's something quite disconcerting to me about those figures. Personally, I see religious attendance (at a church, mosque, temple etc) as an extension of one's faith. While I know it is also important that one lives a life on the other 6 days of the week according to religious beliefs, the disparity in those figures suggest to me that, in this particular case, people in Britain call themselves "Christians" not so much because they believe in the core values, but merely because it is the thing one does if you belong to a certain ethnicity (in this case "White British"). It is almost as if religion is a secondary by-product of your race.

The issue of Muslim women and veils has lingered continually in the background of British society and surfaces from time to time. There have been some readers' opinions in newspapers about how Britain "is a Christian country" and "if Muslims want to live here, they must embrace our rules". Just as Caucasian women don headscarves and veils when they visit Arab countries, it has been suggested that Muslim women do the same if they want to live in "Christian" Britain. But can a society be said to be truly "Christian" when church figures suggest otherwise, and in these days of secularization, religion is used as a stepping stone to give the impression of class?

Religion is also underpinned by other forces such as politics. As the general election in Britain looms, columnists have suggested that the reason why the issue of veils has surfaced at this time, is because Muslim-bashing is popular with certain elements of the predominantly-white society, and gains votes, and the Labour party, which initiated the whole debate, is not afraid to Muslim-bash and lose Muslim votes because they already lost them over Iraq. It sounds terribly awful and seems blasphemous to use religion as a political tool. "I want to hold on to my power in office, and hold on to my big fat salary, so let's bash the Muslims and get a few thousand votes to ensure I stay in power." Great.


"No, thank you," I told the guy.

I don't mean to offend those with religious beliefs, but has religion lost its pure essence, and become too intertwined with other aspects of life to become, among other things, a convenient status symbol and vote-getter?

It'd be interesting to hear your views.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kurt said...

Interesting post. Something for me to think about while I run today. I have thoughts but will chew on them a bit as I think about it.

2:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't have much of a comment except you wrote that so well :) and i do agree about the status thing it sure seems that way to me too.

6:46 PM

 
Blogger m said...

Well said! First I hate when the pious religious people come to my house. Usually they are Christian (as am I) and I explain what religion I am and they still try to convert me. What am I, an idiot. I know what is out there I am happy where I am. Geesh.

Yes religion is too involved in politics as you see on our side of the Atlantic. It makes me sick. It seems every war is fought over religion. Even when your the same general religion...(e.g. protestant vs. irish catholic...sunni vs shite and so on and so on)

9:16 PM

 
Blogger Kewl Nitrox said...

Hmmm... A very big post on a very big subject... And I have so little time to rant… :)

1st and foremost, it is important to separate culture, religion and politics at least in our own minds. Politics will not be politics if everyone played by the books, and Paul taught that it is important that we be convinced in our own minds where we stand. (Romans 14:5)

I have been reading in the papers that we are seeing a "reaction" from the non-Muslim world to the singular inability (or lack of will?) of the larger Muslim community/leadership to condemn and govern the "antics" of the "extremists" minority. While it is WRONG for politicians to make that a platform for their selfish reasons, we cannot ignore the fact that these antics of the minority extremists have far reaching (and often violent) effects on the rest of the world and cannot go unchecked. Living in Asia, this is a rather real aspect of life. The struggle then is what is the appropriate response/control to condemn the act but love the people. It is far too easy to throw out the baby with the bath water by rejecting anything Muslim, and I confess that sometimes that is my knee jerk reaction as well.

On a separate point, I feel that nowadays, "Christian" is not equal to "Church goer" is not equal to "a disciple of Christ". To me, Christianity is more than a religion, and I certainly do not feel "superior" just because I have accepted Christ. In some ways, it is quite the opposite, because there are many who consider religion a mental crutch - a way out to explain what cannot be explained. For me, Christianity is the truth that God loves us enough to die for us, and if we truly believe that, we will naturally want to have a on-going relationship with Him. It's a bit like ice cream to kids - something that can be challenging to adequately describe/explain, but certainly something that can be felt/experienced if we dare to try. It's not about doing good, going door to door on "cold calls", reading the bible, praying, going to church, joining the choir, etc... It is about having seeking Him and ultimately having a RELATIONSHIP with Him, and the means to having this relationship with Him may well be some of those things mentioned above.

My pastor once preached that Christ taught us to be fishers of men, and not keepers of aquariums. The former "catches" fish for Christ, the latter "catches" fish from other churches into their own church. :)

5:00 AM

 
Blogger Liv said...

Very thoughtful post. I'm pretty down on religion myself. I feel that way too many people use religion for the wrong reasons: for violence, for discrimination, for a feeling of superiority, and as an excuse to not think for themselves. And I believe that "good" religious people who have a deeper understanding of their faith are simply good people using a metaphor - which in my humble opinion, they don't really need. I realize that humanity would probably find something to fight about even if there were no religions, but sometimes I think we'd really be better off without it. I realize I might be stepping on toes here, so I hope I can clarify this: it is not religion or the people who practice it (peacefully!) that I dislike - it is the literal interpretation that so many people are stuck in that bothers me. In my mind, religious literature is symbolic, metaphorical, archetypal - is meant to help people understand issues, and is not to be taken at face value.

6:47 AM

 
Blogger Tammy said...

Oh running in the rain is so niiiice!!! Reframe it in your mind, and try again :)

Don't get me started on the whole religion thing... just don't. (biting tongue...OUCH!)

4:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home