Unofficially a blog that's been shut down, you might still find the occasional post here where I mention something about exercise, rant/comment on life, or post my amateur third-person poetry.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Depression, Frustration, and other states of mind

I ran 6.5 miles (I think) today during my break at school - I'll have to look up the exact details on the AutoRoute at home, but I know I did more than 10K in about 48 minutes. The best 48 mins of the past few days, really.

I haven't had a good week, let alone an okay one. Depression is getting me down. The problem is, the depression isn't mine. The weather's been crappily cold this past week and people around me, family and work colleagues, have been complaining about the general state of things. I know the lack of sunlight makes people depressed, but what about the lack of warmth? I find it difficult when people get into a state like that, when nothing ever seems positive, and they just keep finding stuff to complain about, running it over and over in their minds to make themselves and others miserable. Even though I try to "switch off" in the interests of self-preservation, there are times I get really fed up when people get into that sort of mood. Nothing you ever say seems to get people out of their funk; you just have to let them work their way out of it themselves. I know it's selfish, and unkind, to say this - but I can't stand being around depressing people. And it's frustrating because I know I can't help them.

At one of my former schools there was this stereotype about music and PE teachers having little work to do, because these subjects were seen to be "non-core" subjects, having little academic weighting and not being intensive or challenging - the other teachers in my school would come up to me and continually remind me of what a "soft" workload I was getting, or the Heads of Department would assign music and PE teachers extra duties to make up for the perceived lack of work. I'd hear all this "You're really getting it easy. If you had my teaching load...." depressing comments. Frustration is good mental fuel, if you know how to use it - I would run and think about all these people or situations and channel that anger towards my running, and at the end I'd feel better. Hooray for endorphins.

And so it was like this today. Fuelled by frustration I ran and ran. It was nice to be selfish have the better part of a free hour for just myself, without having to listen to all that depressing stuff; just me, rhythmically jiggling keys and footsteps.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kurt said...

Try, I am glad you are able to find time to go run and deal with it in a healthy way. Good for you!

8:04 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Way to have a nice run in what others would say is "rotten" weather. All in the eyes of the beholder, I tell ya!

And hey--my husband is a PE/Math teacher and shares your frustration with the attitude towards PE teachers. He put more work into planning his PE classes than many make in "core" subjects. Since we de-emphasize PE so much and give kids the message it "doesn't count," it's no wonder we have a huge obesity problem in the US!! Arg.

Okay, had to vent. :) Hope I'm not one of those people you just wrote about! hee hee :)

11:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you just described where I teach to a TEE!! That's scary. Maybe I see you daily and don't even know it!

Surrounding oneself with positive people is quite difficult to do. If you master it, could you clue me in?! Negative collegues are the worst and very draining. Glad you were able to find a productive way to "vent!"

7:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you were able to put those endorphins to good use.

3:48 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer P said...

I have my fingers crossed for sunny days for you!

5:40 AM

 
Blogger Rice said...

that Depression is a tough one, and I share your frustration (from both ends).. I get really pissed at the people at the office that would be all bummed out when I’m working my but off to try and feel better. So when they would ask me the generic “how are you” I would come back with an enthusiastic “great” or “oh wow couldn’t be better”. that would seem to kind of stump them. As if they were thinking “well that’s not fair”..

Cheers.

Rice.

12:42 PM

 
Blogger TriZilla said...

Oh, good for you for not letting them get you down! Wow, that must be tough.

But you did it! I hear you on wanting some warm weather. I just ache for spring. I feel like a cat now... Any ray of sunshine that hits the carpet has me wanting to roll around in it :) We're almost there!

9:07 PM

 
Blogger m said...

Damn you are fast! I would kill for that 10k time!

I understand about weather depression and "the grass is always greener on the other side" issue. Don't let it get you down. Good for you for running out the frustration. That's why I love running.

9:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home