Unofficially a blog that's been shut down, you might still find the occasional post here where I mention something about exercise, rant/comment on life, or post my amateur third-person poetry.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ooof ! I did it again.

It seems like every time I run a fast 5K I end up getting a cold in the days that follow. It must be the way I snatch air when I’m running fast. Anyway, a cold put a damper on a long weekend visit to other members of the family, but when 4 out of 6 of them were also nursing colds, it didn’t seem to matter much. Cold Convention, Yorkshire! My mother-in-law had a cold that had been bothering her for so long, she must consistently run sub-20 5Ks.

It might be the stepper today or I’ll just stretch if I’m not up to it. I won’t (and generally don’t) beat myself up over a missed workout.



If you watched the Winter Olympics figure skating pairs yesterday you would have seen Zhang Dan of China fall awkwardly. I haven't yet been able to find a picture of the fall yet, but after being thrown and having to complete four mid-air revolutions, her right leg trailed behind her on landing as she bashed her left knee *bang* on the ice - like doing a lunge, but with every part of your body, except your right leg, tilted 45 degrees to the right. It made us squeamish just to watch the replays, but she returned to skate for a silver medal. And the gold medal female, Tatiana Totmianina, had a head-first fall on the ice in 2004. How's that for guts?

I'll stick to having my two feet on the ground, thank you very much. Although I'll admit that, on previous occasions, that still hasn't been stable enough.

6 Comments:

Blogger Triseverance said...

Amy and I said ouch out loud as well when we saw that fall. And the Tatiana Totmianina fall, that was just plain scary. She is lucky she did not fracture her skull.

I am lovin the Olympics, winter rocks over summer.

2:30 PM

 
Blogger m said...

I saw that fall. It's amazing that they came back and got silver. I'm more of a summer olympics girl. (swiming rocks)

Anyhow I think everyone has gotton the cold from h*** this winter. I'm glad I'm done with it.

4:52 PM

 
Blogger Zara said...

hope you don't fall too ill!

I saw that fall over and over - we have tivo and kept rewinding it and grimacing. OW!

Unrelated question - but why doesn't your blog have an rss feed like other blogspot users? You never show as "updated" on my blogroll and I can't subscribe to you through bloglines. I know it's sad that I'm too lazy to click to sites the old fashion way. Hehe.

11:00 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Hope the sniffles go away soon! :)

2:05 AM

 
Blogger Rice said...

they tell me that runners are more prone to infections because of microscopic damage that we do to our lungs in training (temporary of course, not like smoking)

Cheers. Get well soon.

Rice.

2:15 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer P said...

I figured after seeing the Chinese fall and still medal that I should aim to be a figure skater in 2010. I'm really good at falling down. Good to see that the judging system overhaul really works.
/rant

4:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home