FOAF parties
I dislike them. You know, the gatherings where your presence is by virtue of being a “friend of a friend”. But Wifey really wanted to go, and I know when to shut up and grudgingly oblige.
I dislike being in a room full of people I barely know, largely because at these parties, people seem to introduce themselves to each other and engage in conversations where they try to outshine one another by claiming links to people they view as important. “Oh yes, I know this guy who writes for The Times…” “My husband used to train with Mr X’s personal trainer…” “This friend of mine knew someone who worked with Famous Person…” Pizza, potato chips and wine also do not make a good post-run meal - not least store-bought pizza passed off as homemade. And in this part of north London, people automatically assume that if you’re a guy, you watch
I think I might have sprinted home last night.
Yesterday was another 90F day, but thankfully it cooled down some before I did my 3.5 8-minute miles. Thankfully, that was uneventful and I had no post-run back pain, although I’m conscious of the need to stretch. My lack of flexibility makes me run with a slight arched back, and every stride sends little jarring waves up the lower back.
At this stage I think I should aim to try to stretch more, and run properly without doing damage to myself, rather than be too ambitious in terms of mileage or speed. For the time being, I’ll be happy to do 5Ks or 5 miles each time I run. Form should be my main focus. I don’t want to run fast or long and sacrifice form, causing wear and tear to my joints. My main goal in exercise is to have a fit and healthy body when I’m older.
Probably because I don’t want to be stuck in some old folks’ home with Foafers.


10 Comments:
I've been to those parties - I do love the chips though. I try to listen a lot and hang around my husband. We usually go home early and count it as a good deed.
Good deal on the back feeling better. Work on strengthening that core as well as stretching it!
6:55 PM
I need to watch my form as well I love to slouch when I run especially when I am tired.
I love parties like you described, I get drunk and say stupid stuff so the wife never wants to take me back. :)
7:14 PM
You crack me up! I went to a party once where 2 couples were comparing which one had the better credit card benefits. It went on for about 30 minutes. I'd rather give birth then listen to that conversation again.
I'm the worst stretcher. I know I should spend more time doing it, I'm just to lazy.
Thanks for the laugh.
8:37 PM
Ha ha! LOL I've been to some FOAF parties and my problem is that when I get nervous, I talk too much--my friend calls it "diarrhea of the mouth"--a gross term for the fact that I just don't shut up and probably drive people nuts. :)
9:10 PM
Oh gawd... I hate those 'plastic parties' as well. Everyone talking out of their arses. :P
12:48 AM
To: My Little Social Butterfly,
You really should do what Bob suggests. Brag about YOUR 8 min./miles, silly-dilly!!
From: The Social Slut (she says in a SARCASTIC tone!)
4:58 AM
I am fortunate enough to not have to attend those parties yet, but I do try to drag my wife to the running club potlucks, which she almost always declines. She says all we talk about is running.
5:36 AM
Touch those toes, Piggy!
9:00 AM
Its easy to become the life of the party at them kind of events. It a little hard on the face because you have to smile all the time and laugh at all the jokes but I will go out of my way to see how much I can get others to talk about themselves and get as much info about them as I can. Before you know it everyone wants to talk to you because you’re the one that will listen to how great they are..
Cheers.
Rice.
P.S. Good work with the back.. keep at it.
2:51 PM
:D Totally with you on the FOAF parties. But at least you have scored some major points with the wife (I hope) by agreeing to go and being a good sport. :)
4:49 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home