# 32, # 33 - Cars, Bikes, Buses and Trotters
I rely extensively on public transport to get to work. In this part of the world the benefits of a car are almost invalidated after taking into account car insurance, fuel, tax, congestion charging , the lot. Personally, I think a car here is a bit of a hindrance unless you have children and need to ferry them to and from school, or have a really busy social/work life, or you just want to show off. Of course, there are the odd occasions when your own set of wheels would really really help, but then, it would be cheaper just to hire a car for the day. The daily cost of running a car just isn't worth it, and there have been many a time when I've jumped off a bus, strolled home and admired the motorists caught in gridlock.
Some bus companies went on strike yesterday. Their last-minute strike notices posted at bus stops mentioned that "Some services may possibly be cancelled or be running a reduced service due to possible strike action". It would have been helpful to remove the ambiguities, to save me half an hour of wasted time spent standing around waiting for a once-every-20-minutes bus. In the end, I did the best I could - a 3.5 mile brisk walk, heart rate over 120 bpm for 50 minutes, just to get to somewhere within a bus ride of getting home. My criterion for logging a workout is that it must be over 20 minutes long at 160bpm or higher, or over 30 minutes at 120bpm or higher, so I'm counting it. And a pig whose time has been wasted is a pissed-off pig.
Coming back to designated workouts, today's blind run was 3 loops in 37:02, or 5 miles in 36:33. I lost about 15 seconds due to cars and a close meeting with some cyclist's handlebars. I don't know why cyclists, without lights or reflective gear, are doing the Tour de Sidewalk, but it irritates me slightly - they should be on the road. I can understand it if they feel the sidewalk is safer, but it's a bit too much when a cyclist rides illegally on the sidewalk, and like he/she owns it, and then expects that you'll move out of his way when he/she comes barrelling down a hill towards you. And then gives you a mouthful when you both nearly meet.
I hope to do 4 miles under 30 minutes (dare I try 29?) sometime this week, more likely the next. Happy running!


2 Comments:
i love my car and the "car experience" but would be quite happy to not drive it but once a week for fun instead of every day out of necessity.
you should count the walk as a work out by all means! you even walk fast.
1:03 AM
We don't have any choice but the vehicles throughout most of the USA.
Next time throw something in the spikes of the bike guy. It is annoying when they take the sidewalks rather than ride on the street.
1:43 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home