Four more of these and we're there...
Ran 7 miles in 52 minutes flat today. It was my last chance to do some running for a few days as we’re visiting family, so I was determined to put in a run that I would be contented with until the next one. The first two miles were a bit of a warm-up write-off, but overall I am pleased with how everything went. Towards the end I had to alter my stride and take smaller but faster steps to encourage myself to keep going, and that seemed to work. I finished with a heart rate of about 170bpm, but within 90 seconds it was back down to 120bpm. That has happened consistently for some time now, and it got me thinking: if I can run 7 miles and get some breaks every hour, and feel rested, then I could try to do a few sets of 7 miles and eventually a marathon under 4 hours.
Don’t be fooled by the numbers. If you multiply my 10K or half-marathon times you would conclude a sub-4 marathon is no problem, but that doesn’t take into account the muscle fatigue that occurs between 21 and 42K. (Well, mine anyway.) The ideal thing would of course be to do the long runs, and build up to that distance, but I do want to save my ailing knees. If I ever had to make a black and white choice between running a marathon and affecting my knees further, or saving them and live with the dissatisfaction of not having ever done a marathon, there is no question about it. I can live with naysayers, but it's going to be hard, when I'm older, to hobble around with a cane and feel like a winner.
The hourly exercises seem to be working. Especially the abs. I felt strong, and also felt like I ran better because of the exercises. If I develop a bit more muscle and have enough surface area maybe I should get a tattoo...? Question is, what should it be of, and where should I put it?


9 Comments:
Good run, and oh that's easy, a big ol pig square on your right shoulder.
1:06 PM
Great run! Oooo, I like the pig tattoo idea! :)
1:26 PM
I can't wait to get back into some distance (other than 3 miles) runs.
I'm not a huge tattoo fan so I can't tell you what & where. I saw an 70 year old lady with one at a shower recently and I just can't get past it. I do know that once you start it can hard to stop. Good luck finding what you want.
3:06 PM
General rule is take your half marathon and add 20 min and that will typically predict your marathon time. Of course it assumes your doing the training and the courses are similiar.
I don't recommend a tattoo. If you do put it somewhere where an employer will not see it.
3:42 PM
I was thinking a pig, too, but a flying pig. The pig is obvious but a flying pig could symbolize your dream goals, like the saying "when pigs fly". You'll have a flying pig tattooed on you to prove that yes, they really do fly! ;)
As for where you put whatever tattoo you choose...that's up to you and Mrs. Try, since you'll be the ones seeing it the most. :)
8:39 PM
Only you can answer that age old question for yourself. I guess you actually have two questions, at least. Whether or not to get a tattoo and what it should be of, I am combining this one, and whether or not to run a marathon.
5:11 AM
Oh yes, yes, yes to the tattoo! But get something and put it somewhere tasteful where it would not inhibit a potential job. I have one on my lower back (that's original, I know) but my students don't see it that way.
Great run!
3:42 AM
I second the flying pig idea
2:20 PM
If you’re going to get a tattoo, get something with meaning. Once you decide on what it is, were you get it doesn’t matter anymore. In other words if it means that much to you, you can feel comfortable having it on your forehead and NEVER want to hide it. I have one for my heritage on my left inner forearm and my wife’s name in Japanese on my right shoulder. My next one is going to be my sons name on the backside of my left forearm. I always wait about two years after I decide what I’m going to get before I get it. After I finish an Ironman its going to be an M-dot on the back of the left calf.
Cheers.
Rice.
4:22 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home